Are you keeping your soil covered and healthy?
Ray Archuleta, a soil health specialist with USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, shared 7 key concepts for keeping soil covered and healthy at the recent 2012 Virginia Farm to Table Conference.
The concepts for healthy soil and healthy food are:
- Understand your context
- Protect the soil habitat
- Manage more by disturbing less
- Keep the soil covered as much as possible (i.e., reduce tillage)
- Provide diverse food for soil microorganisms, especially sources of carbon
- Diversify with crop diversity
- Grow living roots throughout the year.
To view slides of Ray’s talk, click Healthy Soils Healthy Food or the image below.