Virginia Cooperative Extension and USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service, in cooperation with community partners, is planning the upcoming 2014 Virginia Farm to Table Conference, Buy Fresh Buy Local Networking Mixer to encourage Nutrition, Health and Sustainability from the Ground Up. This conference is scheduled for Tuesday, December 2 and Wednesday, December 3, 2014, at Blue Ridge Community College Plecker Workforce Center in Weyers Cave, Virginia.
To register and learn more about the conference, please visit conference.virginiafarmtotable.org
- Philip Ackerman-Leist of Green Mountain College and author of Rebuilding the Foodshed
- Peter Allison of FINE – Farm to Institution New England
- Dr. Arden Andersen – Author of The Root of Good Nutrition
- Chris Lawrence – USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Chris Reedy – Blue Ridge Food Ventures
- Gabe Brown — Brown’s Ranch
- Christina Cain – Staunton Creative Community Fund
- Paul Nolde – Virginia Community Capital
- Pam Flasch – Luray-Page County Chamber of Commerce
- And many more!
Panel topics include:
- Innovative and Practical Conservation: A view from new and experienced farmers
- Funding and growing your food and farm enterprise
- Selling Your Product: Food as an economic anchor
- Regional Food System Infrastructure: Fruits and vegetables/ Livestock
- Connecting the Dots: Soil and human health
- Alphabet Soup: Regulations and opportunities in Virginia’s food system
- Food and Farming as an Economic and Community Driver: Working with your community
- Farm-to-School Track: From Procurement, School Gardens to Entrepreneurship
- Convening of Local, Regional, and State Food System Councils
On Wednesday afternoon and evening, there will be a Buy Fresh Buy Local Mixer and Chefs’ Challenge. The Mixer will encourage business conversation and networking among Virginia producers and buyers, while the Chefs’ Challenge will be a celebration of locally-grown Virginia foods prepared by area chefs. A local band, Many Nights Ahead, will provide accompanying music.